Monday, August 9, 2010

Being Green

Part of my goal since moving to Nebraska has been to increase what we do as a family to live "green". On average, Nebraska is ages behind Vermont in "green living"-when I told our painters we were looking for a "green and environmentally friendly" paint for our home this spring I was told that Home Depot has tons of shades to choose from...... but there are tons of residents who really go above and beyond the "green" lifestyle. While I am not brave enough to venture into the world of cloth diapering like our friend is, we are doing our part to reduce what we can. Here's a few things we do....

  • Paint with only "green" paint
  • Recycle
  • Buy local produce, meats, etc... as much as possible
  • Eat seasonally
  • Limit our light usage to only when we are in the room
  • Take shorter showers than ever before (this is a challenge for S)
  • Limit our consumption of "goods"-be it food, clothing, material goods, etc... (I'm attempting a new blog on this, hoping to get it up and running by September!)
  • And, finally, my favorite, we line dry as much clothing as we can....
Note the fabulous baby gowns...

All in all, we are doing our best to reduce our carbon footprint, and we will cotinue to try more in expanding our efforts. Do I think we will get an award from Al Gore??? Not really...but I do hope that our efforts are doing a little something. Plus, the smell of line dried laundry just makes me happy.

No comments: